About David Leech
Leechburg History
Become a Member
About our Cookbook
Officers and Board
Contact the Museum
Contact Web Editor
Local Geography
Pennsylvania Canal
Links to Other Sites

The Weather:
Click for Leechburg, Pennsylvania Forecast

Located at:

118 First Street
(corner of Main and First)


Noon until 3 p.m.
Wednesdays and Saturdays or call for appointment. 2018 Museum Season opens in May.


About David Leech (page 1)

In 1827, David Leech, a trained civil engineer from Mercer County, came to the small village known as "Friendship."

Leech secured the contract for construction of the big dam lock for the new canal. He also bought much land, some of it from Chief White Mattock, by then the fifth owner of this parcel. Leech, wisely envisioning future growth in the small community, later bought more land from Joseph Hunter.


  1. During building of the canal, the village was virtually a construction camp.
  2. Hundreds of immigrant workers -- many Irish -- were employed on the big navigation project. Some settled here and in Freeport.
  3. Canal laborers were paid 50 cents daily plus board. However, eggs cost six cents a dozen; whole chickens sold for six cents each.) [next page]

© 2018, The Leechburg Area Museum and Historical Society