About David Leech
Leechburg History
Become a Member
About our Cookbook
Officers and Board
Contact the Museum
Contact Web Editor
Local Geography
Pennsylvania Canal
Links to Other Sites

The Weather:
Click for Leechburg, Pennsylvania Forecast

Located at:

118 First Street
(corner of Main and First)


Noon until 3 p.m.
Wednesdays and Saturdays or call for appointment. 2018 Museum Season opens in May.


About David Leech (page 2)

Leech built a sawmill, gristmill and woolen-making shop, all powered by water from the dam and river. He also built boat yards and later organized a boat line to carry passengers and freight. He became the agent for several Pittsburgh boat companies when the canal opened and first boats passed through here in 1828. At that time all commercial activity and dwellings were located along the riverfront, and River Avenue later became the town's principal business street.

The enterprising Mr. Leech spent much of his wealth to foster the town. He built several houses. Among those still remaining are the former Malarkey-Smail property at First and Main Streets that houses the Leechburg Museum and Historical Society, and the rear portion of the Masonic Corinthian Club on Market Street. He also built the first schoolhouse in 1829, the same frame building being used until 1843.

In 1853 Leech helped organize Leech, Chamberlain & Co. which built a rail line between Pittsburgh and Kittanning. It was completed late in 1856.

Leech died two years later on Nov. 3, 1858 after a long illness and is buried in Leechburg Cemetery on Pershing Avenue. [previous]

© 2018, The Leechburg Area Museum and Historical Society