About David Leech
Leechburg History
Become a Member
About our Cookbook
Officers and Board
Contact the Museum
Contact Web Editor
Local Geography
Pennsylvania Canal
Links to Other Sites

The Weather:
Click for Leechburg, Pennsylvania Forecast

Located at:

118 First Street
(corner of Main and First)


Noon until 3 p.m.
Wednesdays and Saturdays or call for appointment. 2018 Museum Season opens in May.


Pennsylvania Canal (page 2)

The canal was in operation for only 23 years from 1834 to 1857 just prior to the Civil War when the system was purchased by the Pennsylvania Railroad, which converted much of the canal right-of-ways into rail lines. The dam was located at the foot of First Street, up the river from the present site of the Leechburg Volunteer Fire Dept. (formerly Pete's Place).

This is a drawing of a Pennsylvania canal boat, being pulled along the canal.  Passengers are sitting on the upper deck.

A boat basin and moorings were located along River Avenue (formerly part of Canal Street) in the area now bounded approximately by Second Street, Bridge Avenue, Basin Avenue, and River Avenue. The area today extends from Pappy's Restaurant (formerly Bonello's Market) to the VFW Home.

© 2018, The Leechburg Area Museum and Historical Society