Home
About David Leech
Leechburg History
Become a Member
About our Cookbook
Officers and Board
Contact the Museum
Contact Web Editor
Local Geography
Pennsylvania Canal
Links to Other Sites

The Weather:
Click for Leechburg, Pennsylvania Forecast

Located at:

118 First Street
(corner of Main and First)

Hours:

Noon until 3 p.m.
Wednesdays and Saturdays or call for appointment. 2017 Museum Season opens May 3.

 


Leechburg History (page 1)

Little is known of Leechburg's early history prior to the 1830's. Indians and early settlers were attracted here by a bountiful, ever-flowing spring in the "Hollow" near the old Leechburg Skating Rink (now the Baker Building of Leechburg Area High School).

In 1783, John Vanderen owned a part of what now is downtown Leechburg. Ten years later in 1793, White Mattock, a Delaware Indian chief, purchased another part (some 192 acres) from James Walker, who had originally surveyed it. Many existing deeds still list White Mattock as original owner.

By 1822, the hamlet was named "White Plains." Most of the forest land had been felled, and some of the area was productive farm land. Eight families were reported as being farmers here. [next]

© 2017, The Leechburg Area Museum and Historical Society