was in operation for only 23
years from 1834 to 1857 just
prior to the Civil War when the
system was purchased by the
Pennsylvania Railroad, which
converted much of the canal
right-of-ways into rail lines.
The dam was located at the foot
of First Street, up the river
from the present site of the
Leechburg Volunteer Fire Dept.
A boat basin and moorings were located
along River Avenue (formerly part of Canal
Street) in the area now bounded
approximately by Second Street, Bridge
Avenue, Basin Avenue, and River Avenue.
The area today extends from Pappy's Restaurant (formerly Bonello's
Market) to the VFW Home. [previous]